Last night’s Grammy Awards seemed a little tamer than in year’s past, with many celebrities playing it safe and relying on classic hair, makeup and nail looks. Anna Kendrick was one of the standouts, with beautiful, wavy hair, a nude lip and matching neutral nails. She got it right! Here’s how to recreate the look yourself…
Inspiration: “Anna wore a silver Azzaro dress that was sleek and structured. Therefore, I wanted to compliment the dress with a soft, Veronica Lake-inspired hairdo,” said celebrity hairstylist Craig Gangi for Garnier. “But because it was the Grammys, we gave it a slight edge, tightly pulling up the right side for a modern, sleek look.”
- Since Kendrick’s hair is naturally very curly and voluminous, Gangi started by applying Garnier Fructis Style Curl Calm Down Anti-Frizz Cream to Anna’s wet hair to tame the volume and eliminate frizz. He then blow-dried her hair very smooth.
- Next, Gangi lightly sprayed Kendrick’s hair with Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Blow Dry Perfector Straightening Balm to protect from heat and add shine. Then, he thermal set her hair and after letting cool down, brushed it out and tightly pulled it back to one side.
- Gangi then applied the tiniest drop of Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Sleek Finish 5-in-1 Serum Spray into his hands and smoothed over her hair for incredible shine. To complete the look, Garnier Fructis Style Extreme Control Anti-Humidity Hairspray was used to set the look and provide firm hold and repel moisture for a look that will last all-night.
Makeup was done by Vanessa Scali for Maybelline New York, featuring smoky, sultry eyes and effortless skin. To achieve this look, she used cream shadows, which look very modern on the skin and have a slight transparency that adds shape and drama. Additionally, a sheer, vibrant color on the cheeks and a rose/nude lip complimented Kendrick’s eyes, without competing with them. “Anna’s smoky eyes gave her look a little edge. Keeping the rest of her face effortless made this a very pretty and wearable look.”
To recreate the look:
- Eye Shadow: Scali applied Maybelline New York Eye Studio Color Tattoo Metal in Barely Branded from the lash line to the brow bone, and under the lower lashes in the inside corners of the eyes, brightening them in a soft and sexy way. She then applied Maybelline New York Eye Studio Color Tattoo Metal in Bad to the Bronze; starting in the middle of the lid, extending out and beyond the natural eye, and then wrapping under the bottom lashes.
- Eyeliner: For extra depth and definition, Scali layered Maybelline New York Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Blackest Black to the base of the lashes. She then curled Kendrick’s lashes and liberally applied two coats of Maybelline New York Falsies Big Eyes Mascara in Very Black to the top lashes, and one coat to the bottom.
- Cheeks: Scali applied Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Glaze in Pink Fever. Smooth and sheer, this vibrant wash of color makes the skin look fresh and lit from within.
- Lips: To keep Kendrick’s eyes the center focus, Scali applied a light coat of Maybelline New York Color Elixir Lip Color in RoseRedefined for the finishing touch.
Celebrity manicurist Lisa Postma created Anna’s nail look for the night, with a “modern take on the French manicure using essie’s chinchilly, tipped with essie’s ignite the night from the encrusted collection for a hint of sparkle and dimension. The final look was elegant, but fun; the perfect look for the Grammy Awards!” I agree–I loved this look!
Did you watch the Grammy’s last night? What was your favorite look? Let me know in the comments!