Strobing is the current obsession of makeup lovers everywhere and beauty brands are happy to oblige with new releases coming fast and furious. Today we’re taking a look at the best new highlighters for strobing.
Strobing isn’t a new makeup technique; it’s basically targeted highlighting using a cream, liquid or powder formula. Using a light hand, apply on top of cheekbones, the inner corner of the eyes, over/under the brow bone, bridge of the nose, cupid’s bow and chin. The look you’re after is glowing, luminous skin.
I prefer to use formulas that have the same undertones as my own skin tone for the most natural look. In the summer, I’m more likely to use a strobing product with warm or gold pigments, since I’m usually going to be combining that with a bronzer. In the winter, I’ll use a highlighter with cooler white or silver tones, since my skin is more pale.
These are the best new highlighters for strobing that I’ve recently tested:
- The Estée Edit Beam Team – this multitasker features a hydrating illuminating creme with skincare benefits that can be used alone or with the solid balm (which adds more shimmer).
- e.l.f. Illuminating Palette has four soft-focus powder highlighters with a satin luminous finish; this is my #1 pick for those that truly want a natural lit-from-within effect, or for mature skins.
- Urban Decay Afterglow 8 Hour Powder Highlighter – three shades, my favorite for strobing is Sin; very pretty shimmer effect (review).
- Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector™ Poured Crème in Champagne Pop (review). I use this nearly every day and love that you can apply over/under makeup.
- Estée Lauder Genuine Glow Eyelighting Creme – easy to use, controllable illuminating effect without being over the top. Two shades, I have Gleam Glow, a gold shade (review).
- COVER | FX Custom Enhancer Drops are one of my newest finds and are so versatile! Available in six high-wattage shades, for strobing I like the Celestial (glistening pearl) and Moonlight (silvery; more cool). You can apply directly to skin, or if you want, add to your moisturizer. Beautiful on the skin.
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Glow Stick Glistening Illuminator is universally flattering; you can’t miss with this one! A gorgeous sheer cream has both warm and cool pigments for a luminous glow. Love!
- Maybelline FaceStudio Master Strobing Stick Illuminating Highlighter has a creamy texture with a soft, subtle glow; not over the top shimmer, so mature skins can use it, too. I have both the Light and Medium shades, and would highly recommend this one if you’re just starting out with strobing. The Light shade is an excellent dupe for NARS Hot Sand Multiple!
- Smashbox Halo Highlighting Wand – this pen is perfect for the beginner; just click the end to dispense the product, brush on and blend. Super easy! There are two shades, Gold and Pearl (warm/cool). I’d say this has the second most intense glow after the COVER | FX Custom Enhancer Drops.
- PUR Cosmetics Glow Strobe Palette – beautiful shades and formula for a luminizing glow (review).
What are some of your favorite highlighting and strobing products? Need more suggestions? Check out this post on favorite illuminators/highlighters!