As we enter the dog days of summer, you need only to walk through your local retailer to be reminded that it’s Back to School season. Instead of picking up Sharpies (although I can’t resist them), make sure you have these beauty essentials in your cart!
Back to School shopping was always a big deal in my house and it’s still hard for me to walk past the displays. It’s a great time to update your beauty routine with the basics, as well as a few new on-trend beauty products for Fall. There are lots of amazing beauty finds at the drugstore (see ), many under $10!
My Back to School beauty picks for this season include:
1. The new Maybelline Graffiti Nudes Palette ($9.99) offers 12 eyeshadow shades from nude to bold. There are various textures from matte to shimmers and I found the pigmentation to be good. This is a versatile palette that easily transitions from day to nighttime looks. Add one of the bold shades to the outside of your eye for an updated look.
2. Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder ($25) is a classic for good reason…it’s perfect for touchups and controlling shine. It’s natural looking, doesn’t cake and can be worn alone or with foundation.
3. L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation ($12.99) has a lightweight formula with SPF 15 and a sheer, radiant glow. It’s breatheable and feels good on the skin. Longwearing, blends well, this is a great drugstore find!
4. Philosophy instant miracle worker touch-up stick ($30) – A good concealer is essential for hiding (or brightening) dark circles, or concealing skin imperfections. I like the creamy and blendable consistency, plus good pigmentation and a cooling sensation on application.
5. I love the natural, neutral shade of That’s Brilliant Face & Eye Luminizer ($16) from Mark Beauty. Use it for highlighting or luminizing. It’s not too shimmery, just a subtle glow. So pretty!
6. The new Max Factor Masterpiece High Precision Liquid Eyeliner ($9.99) gets to the point…a precision point, that is. Part of the new limited-edition Max Factor capsule collection designed by Pat McGrath, this liquid liner glides on smoothly for a high impact cat-eye or a graphic eye look.
7. FLOWER Beauty Zoom-In Ultimate Mascara ($7.98) is a multitasker that lengthens, curls and adds volume to lashes with an adjustable brush. You can find FLOWER Beauty products at Walmart.
8. Matte lip colors are still hugely popular. Tuck a Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick ($20) into your purse for long-lasting, highly-pigmented color. I love Double Dare!
9. Garnier SkinActive Clean+ Purifying Oil-Free Cleansing Towelettes ($5.99) are great for removing makeup, as well as gently purifying and mattifying skin. If you have oily or combination skin, you’ll love these!
10. Start out your morning with Suave Essentials Amethyst Sunset Body Wash. Scented with romantic jasmine, apricot, grapefruit and linden flower, this body wash is a steal at under $2.00. Look for it in drug and discount stores.
11. For me, a lip balm is something I have with me all the time. ChapStick® is out with 100% Natural Lip Butters in fun flavors (I’m loving Pink Grapefruit!), for all-day hydration and softer, smoother, healthier looking lips. You can find ChapStick® products in mass merchandisers like CVS, Walgreens and Walmart.
12. Be your own perfume chemist with the DEMETER Foolproof Blending Library. It’s easy and so fun to create your own personal fragrance. I picked three scents from the Classic Catalog ($45) including Salt Air, Clean Skin and Sunshine and then used the Foolproof Blending Tool Kit ($6) to create a custom fragrance that I absolutely love. This makes a great gift, too!
While I didn’t list one here, check out my recommendations for good dry shampoos; using one is a timesaver for those mornings you’re running late.
Have you started your Back to School beauty shopping yet?