Nothing beats the feeling of leaving a salon with swingy, shiny, beautiful hair. A professional blowout takes your hair to “model on duty” status. By using the right techniques and products, you can do your own salon-worthy blowout, while protecting hair from breakage or other damage.
Follow these steps for a bangin’ blowout:
- Start by rough drying hair with fingers until the hair is about 80% dry and then separate into sections using the clips.
- Next, apply a blowout styling product, working through hair from midshaft to ends.
- Blow dry using a paddle brush for sleek, straight hair or a large round brush for waves. Pro tip: Matt Fugate, Kérastase Paris Consulting Hairstylist, recommends a boar bristle brush to smooth out the frizz. Make sure to use the nozzle attachment on your blow dryer, as this allows you to control the air direction, adding smoothness and shine. Without the nozzle, the dryer will puff the hair cuticle, leading to frizz. Lift each section at the root to create volume.
- For added side volume, pull sections of hair above your ears up with your paddle brush and focus the heat of your blowdryer upwards.
- Finish by blasting cool air over hair to set style and seal the hair cuticle, helping to prevent frizz. If you’d like, use a curling iron on a few pieces around your face.
I’ve been testing blowout stylers and these are some of my newly discovered favorites (not listed in any particular order):
- Kerastase L’Incroyable Blowdry is a lotion that offers heat protection, frizz protection and the ability to reshape hair (the second or even third day beyond shampooing). Impressive results!
- MOROCCANOIL® Blow-Dry Concentrate is great for thick/coarse hair. This serum smoothes hair, seals in shine and provides intense frizz control. And yes, it smells amazing!
- Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Primer can be used by all hair types and offers heat protection up to 450º, strengthens hair and reduces blow-dry time. I’ve recommended this product for those with dry/damaged hair…you can’t go wrong!
- Matrix Oil Wonders Shaping Oil Cream swirls Moroccan argan oil in a cream/gel in one product. Nourishes, shapes and conditions hair, leaving it soft and shiny. All hair types can use this shaping cream.
- Leonor Greyl Lait Luminescence Detangling Milk Spray is a fabulous bi-phase product, formulated with plant extracts and without silicone. It detangles, smoothes, nourishes and adds luminosity and shine to hair. Can be used by all hair types, particularly good for thick/coarse hair.
- If you need more volume with your blowout or have fine hair, Pai-Shau Opulent Volume Spray provides weightless volume and lift to the hair. It’s formulated with Exotic Tea Complex. Spray onto the roots of hair before blow drying.
What are your favorite tips and products to use to achieve the perfect blowout at home?