The elves at MAC have spun their own epic holiday collection called A Tartan Tale, complete with a fantasy MAC Magicland and a moral to the story: be true to yourself. That’s a holiday message we can all take heed of, right?
The MAC Holiday Collection 2010: A Tartan Tale is a huge and ambitious offering. Here’s the 411 on the components and keep in mind that I will be doing separate postings on each:
- The Holiday Colour collection, A Tartan Tale; description and review below
- The MAC Viva Glam collection: gifts that give back include the Viva Glam Lip Bag, Sir Teddy teddy bear and Kids Helping Kids holiday cards
- The MAC Holiday Gift Sets, called A Tartan Tale – Chapter 1 and Chapter 2.
The MAC Holiday Colour Collection, A Tartan Tale, is a full holiday makeup collection. The must-have product? The eye shadows, complete with tartan striping–love these! I find that using my #239 brush is perfect for picking up and laying down just the right amount of color. The suggested retail price for the eye shadow is $19.50.
- Golden Crown – Light gold with bronze tartan striping
- A Wish Come True – Dirty mauve with bubblegum pink tartan striping
- Follow Your Fantasy – Mid-tone peach with chocolate tartan striping
- Enviably Fun – Grass green with dark green tartan striping; applies lighter than in the pot
- Semi-Precious – Aubergine with chocolate tartan striping; it’s purple–of course my favorite!
- Glamora Castle – Dark grey with teal tartan striping; love this color, too.
Pigments are also in the collection and can be used as a wash of color or layered for a more intense effect:
- Later – Black with transforming purple pearl (frost)
- Moonlight Night – Blackened teal with teal pearl (frost) (gorgeous!)
- The Family Crest – Blackened bronze with bronze pearl (frost)
If you haven’t tried pigments, there is a bit of an art to working with them, but I like them. For sparkle payoff on your eyes, it doesn’t get much better. Pigments have a suggested retail price of $19.50.
Five new Lipsticks ($14.00) and five new Dazzleglass Cremes ($18.00):
- Cut a Caper – Midtone peachy pink (Lustre)
- The Faerie Glen – Pale neutral pink (Lustre)
- Deepest Wish – Deep creamy reddish brown (Amplified)
- Full Fuschia – Bright blue fuchsia (Amplified)
- Courting Lilac – Sheer lilac mauve with soft gold pearl (Glaze); if you like the sheer wearability of a Glaze, this is a pretty color that would look good on most everyone.
- Radiant Jewels – Dark sparkly magenta; my favorite in the collection; gorgeous for a holiday look.
- Soft Dazzle – Midtone peach pik with gold pearl
- Passing fancy – Bright orange coral with soft pearl
- Lightly Prancing – Light peach with gold pearl
- Gone Romancin’ – Midtone lavendar with multi-dimensional pearl
Pearlglide Intense Eyeliners – These liners were first introduced back in April as part of the Art Supplies Collection; they’re a fantastic product. Long lasting, smooth as silk with a bit of shimmer. Two new colors for the holidays, these retail at $14.50.
- Black Swan – Black with pearl
- Lord It Up – Bronze with pearl
- Sly as a Fox – Creamy mid-tone russet/burnt red (Cream)
- Style Clan – Dark taupe with red pearl (Frost)
I was sent Style Clan to preview and in reality it’s a pretty brown shade with a reddish shimmer. I needed two pretty aggressive coats to be satisfied with the results, but I really like this shade. $13.00
The MAC Holiday Collection 2010, A Tartan Tale, is in stores now and will be online at www.maccosmetics.com on October 28, 2010.