Do you sometimes wonder why your makeup doesn’t look or perform quite the way it should? It might be that you’re not using a primer. A primer for me is an absolute necessity; on both eyes and face. I’ve probably tried more than I could ever count and following are my top makeup primers, including eye primers.
10 11 makeup primers include (in no specific order):
- NARS Light Optimizing Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 15 (review)
- Clinique Superprimer Face Primer in Universal (review)
- Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer (review)
- Guerlain Meteorites Light Diffusing Perfecting Primer
- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Radiance (review)
- MAC Prep + Prime CC Colour Correcting Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (Adjust shade)
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Anti-Aging (review)
- Trish McEvoy Eye Base Essentials Brightening Eyeshadow Primer (review)
- NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- Make Up For Ever Eye Prime (review)
- NARS Pro-Prime Instant Line & Pore Perfector
Much has been written about starting a makeup application with a “perfect canvas”. I have so many primers, but each one has unique properties and honestly, I almost never use the same one two days in a row. A primer is a product that I use every time I apply makeup, no exceptions. It’s a personal preference, but I prefer to not use primers that are silicone-heavy, as they can clog pores. If my skin is looking a little dull, then I reach for one of the radiance enhancing primers–either Laura Mercier, Guerlain or NARS. If I wearing a makeup from the same brand, I prefer to use that brand’s primer also.The new NARS Pro-Prime Instant Line & Pore Perfector can be used as a spot treatment anywhere that needs a little extra “help” looking perfect.
For summer, Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Prime is my go-to. It’s perfect for combination to oily skins and keeps makeup on and shine off. A new favorite is the MAC Prep + Prime CC Colour Correcting Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30, which is just out. I like that it color-corrects in addition to laying down a good base for makeup. Clinique’s Superprimers are similar–I love the different formulas available and I literally could have counted all of them as a “favorite”.
For eye base, I would say I love each of the eye primers equally as well. The NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base is colorless, so that’s a plus; Trish McEvoy and MAKE UP FOR EVER are flesh toned, which is good if you tend to have uneven skin coloration. The Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Anti-Aging is good if you tend to have a more mature eye where crepiness can be a concern.
Do you have a favorite primer? Let me know what it is and then check the favorites of the other beauty bloggers participating in today’s Top 10 Tuesday!
Disclosure: Press samples may have been been provided by the brand/PR for editorial consideration, product testing and review. Affiliate links have been used in the post, which means a small commission is earned. This helps to support and maintain Beauty411.net.