There are some actresses that I am always excited to see on the red carpet; Keira Knightley is one of them. Her makeup is flawless…and she wears the best smoky eye. We’ve got the inside scoop on her makeup, nails and hair…you can recreate the look yourself!
Keira’s makeup was done by CHANEL Celebrity Makeup Artist Kate Lee. They chose a slate-grey smoky eye to complement the gorgeous purple Erdem dress she was wearing.
“For Keira’s eyes, I used CHANEL Quadra Eyeshadow in Prélude and CHANEL Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow in Tissé Gabrielle. I tried to make a mixture between a slate grey and a cool brown, because I didn’t want it to be a cold, draining grey; I wanted it to be a smoky, smoldering grey. I didn’t use any eyeliner. I think the way to keep a smoky eye looking young and interesting is to not have too many lines or too much hardness. I wet the eyeshadow and applied it along the base of the eyelashes. I then blended shadow along the socket line in an inward direction.” Kate finished the eye look with CHANEL Inimitable Waterproof Mascara in Noir.
On cheeks, CHANEL Le Blush Crème de Chanel in Cheeky was applied under the cheekbones to define them a bit, followed by CHANEL Limited Edition Le Jardin de Chanel Powder Blush from the Spring Rêverie Parisienne Collection (review) on the front of the apples of the cheeks.
Nails were done by CHANEL Celebrity Manicurist Ashlie Johnson. Ashlie started with CHANEL Protective Base Coat, then two coats of CHANEL Limited Edition Le Vernis Nail Colour in Sweet Lilac (if unavailable try Tenderly from the Spring Collection), and finished with CHANEL Extreme Shine Nail Lacquer. The same shade was used for Keira’s manicure and pedicure.
Hair was styled by Ben Skervin using Vidal Sassoon products. The inspiration was a Brigitte Bardot inspired half-up half-down look – a boho-chic style that paired perfectly with Keira’s dress.
Here’s how Ben created Keira’s look:
1. First apply Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse to wet hair for lift, followed by Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray throughout the hair to add shine and a nice finish to the blow dry. Blow-dry the hair with a large round brush, making sure to curl the ends under.
2. Using a large barrel curling iron, wrap 2- square inch sections of hair in a spiral down the curling iron and make sure to leave the ends out. Slide the hair off the iron and pull each section down so it forms a loose wave instead of a curl. Repeat this over the whole head.
3. Once the curled hair has cooled, use your fingers as a comb to break up the waves. Spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series ColorFinity Dry Shampoo into the roots to give hair a bed-head look, then back-comb the roots of the hair at the crown for lift and volume.
4. Take two small sections of hair on either side of the head by the ears, and pull these back to the middle back of your head. Secure with 3 bobby pins and 2 U-shaped pins, and then pull out some pieces of hair to frame the face for a boho-chic look.
5. To finish, spray hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to keep the look in place.
Who wore your favorite red carpet look? Let me know in the comments!