Highlighting and contouring are one of the hottest trends in makeup right now, no doubt made popular by Kim Kardashian’s numerous “behind the scenes” photos. Today the Top 10 Beauty Bloggers are sharing our favorite highlighting and contouring products. Read on for my picks!
While I think it’s totally fine to follow makeup trends, most “trends” have really been around for a while. You can find highlighting and contouring techniques from the brilliant Kevyn Aucoin in his book “Making Faces” (note–if you are a makeup fan and don’t have that book, you totally need it!). Use a deft, light hand and practice the look that you’re comfortable wearing. I like a soft illuminated look to lift, with subtle sculpted cheeks for definition. These are my favorite highlight and contouring products to help achieve the look:
- IT Cosmetics Live, Love, Laugh Vitality Face Disc (review), $38
- Wet n Wild Fergie To Reflect Shimmer Palette in Rose Champagne Glow, $5.99
- Urban Decay NAKED Flushed Palette in Native, $32 (I also like Stripped)
- NYX Highlight & Contour Pro Palette, $24.99
- Shiseido Face Color Enhancing Trio in Apple, $37
- NARS Contour Blush in Paloma, $42 (review)
- MAC Pro Sculpting Cream in Accentuate and Coffee Walnut (now available only at MAC Pro stores)
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Brush-On Glow BB Highlighter in Soft Pink (universal), $28.50
- YSL Touche Éclat Radiant Touch in 2, $42 (review)
- Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Highlight & Sculpting Contour, $24 each (review)
- Tarte Park Avenue Princess Contour Palette, $34 (not pictured as I lost it in the move!
You can use a variety of makeup tools to highlight and contour. If you’re using a powder, I like an angled brush, like the MAC 168 Large Angled Contour Brush. It hugs the planes of the face and deposits color exactly where you want it. Perfection. For cream formulas, you can use your fingers or a beautyblender. What are your favorite highlighting and contouring products? Tell me in the comments!