Have you noticed the amount of new lip balms in the beauty aisles lately? It’s no accident. Lip balms, once seemingly reserved for ‘tweens or winter lip care, have come into their own. With new formulas, pigmented color and great packaging, it’s time to revisit the lip balm.
While I don’t think lip balms will ever surpass lipsticks as the beauty product women buy the most, today’s tinted lip balms are worth checking out. These lip balms are a combination of makeup and skincare. In addition to new formulas, what I’m most impressed with are the variety of shades. You can find a higher level of pigmentation in these lip balms than ever before; in come cases you get the color you’d want in a lipstick, but the moisturizing feel of the balm. And coverage? The lip balms I favor offer sheer and in some cases, light-to-medium coverage.
My current favorite tinted lip balms include: (in alphabetical order):
1. bareMinerals Pop of Passion Lip Oil-Balm (Passion Pink)
2. Bobbi Brown Sheer Lip Color (Sunset Pink)
3. Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine (Reveuse)
4. Clarins Instant Light Lip Balm Perfector (Coral)
5. Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer (Bare Pop)
6. Dior Rouge Dior Baume Natural Lip Treatment (760 Garden Party)
7. Fresh® Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 (Sugar Nude)
8. Givenchy Le Rouge-A-Porter (105 Brun Vintage)
9. Jouer Lip Sheer SPF 15 (Sheer Rosy Stain)
10. Laura Mercier Lip Parfait Creamy Colorbalm (Sweet Guava)
11. M·A·C Huggable Lipcolour (Flaming Lips)
12. YSL Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm Crystal Color (#12 Sheer Raspberry)
Most of these tinted lip balms contain oils in the formula, such as bareMinerals Pop of Passion Lip Oil-Balm and Clarins Instant Light Lip Balm Perfector. Others contain anti-oxidants and a few have sunscreen. And no need to hide this new breed of lip balms; the packaging is as sleek and chic as a lipstick. The Givenchy Le-Rouge-A-Porter comes in it’s own leather case!
Red lips are a huge trend for summer (thanks, Taylor!), but if a bold red lipstick would never be your thing, try the Laura Mercier Lip Parfait Creamy Colorbalm in Sweet Guava or M·A·C Huggable Lipcolour in Flaming Lips. These shades are so much more forgiving and easy to wear; a sheer red without the drama. I think that’s one of the things I like about this new crop of lip balms; the flexibility. You can go natural or add color, yet know that the treatment on your lips feels great, too.
If you’re wondering where lip crayons fit into the picture, although lip crayons could be considered lip balms, I wanted to focus on some of the newer formulas lip colors (for more on lip crayons, read my Top 10 Favorite Lip Crayons).
What are your thoughts on these new tinted lip balms? Have you seen or tried them yet? Tell me your favorites!
Disclosure: Some press samples have been provided by the brand/PR for editorial consideration, product testing and review; many of these products I purchased myself. Affiliate links have been used in the post, which means a small commission is earned.
Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net