Nothing says festive for holiday party makeup like the perfect red lipstick. The holidays are the time of year when it’s time to amp up your makeup for festive parties….and lots of pictures. When it comes to lipstick, the color you want to be wearing is a super sexy red. Finding the best shade of red lipstick for the holidays takes planning and patience.
Let’s start with some tips for finding the best red lipstick shade for you:
- Before applying a red lipstick, make sure your lips are in top condition by using a sugar scrub to exfoliate and smooth. I like the Sara Happ Lip Scrub; it comes in a variety of flavors and sloughs off rough skin on the lips.
- Look at your wrist; if the veins tend to look blue, (or if you’re very pale), chances are you have cool undertones to your skin. A red lipstick with blue (cool) undertones would be best.
- If your veins look green, your skin tone has warm undertones. Go for an orange-red lipstick.
- If your veins look blue-green, your skin tone is most likely neutral. You’re lucky, as you can wear most any shade of red lipstick.
- Consider the intensity of the shade you are wearing. If a full coverage look is too dramatic, blot lipstick on like a stain.
- Fill in the lip area with a lipliner before applying your lipstick. A lipliner will help prevent your lipstick from feathering or bleeding. Finding a shade that matches your lipstick will insure that you have an adequate base to build color and insure that the color “stays” true.
The Best Red Lipsticks for the holidays include:
1. MAC Russian Red (neutral) – Russian Red is a classic, red lipstick in a matte formula (shown above)
2. NARS Jungle Red (neutral) – Semi-matte; looks great on fair skins.
3. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in F-Bomb (cream finish; neutral) – classic red, great pigmentation, cream formula.
4. Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Red Carpet Red – true ruby red (neutral).
5. MAC Ruby Woo (matte); this lipstick has a bluish (cool) undertone and is beloved by many makeup artists.
6. Clinique High Impact Lip Colour in Red-Y to Wear – moisturizing cream/satin finish, true red, neutral/cool undertone
7. L’Oreal Colour Riche Collection Exclusive Pure Reds in Blake’s Red has a warm undertone and matte finish.
8. CHANEL Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Long Wear Lip Colour in Coromandel – orange-red, satin finish and warm undertone.
9. Lancome L’Absolu Rouge Définition in Le Carmin – pure red, demi-matte formula with neutral undertone.
10. Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick in Underage Red – one of the original four lipstick shades that launched her line, Underage Red is a fire engine orange-red shade, matte formula, with warm undertone.
A statement-making red lipstick is a beautiful accent to a holiday look. When wearing a bold red lip, the general advice is to keep the rest of your look balanced and neutral, so as not to compete or overpower with the red lipstick. Lastly, if you’re just not comfortable wearing a red lipstick, no worries. Try a red lip stain, lip gloss or tinted lip balm instead.
Do you have a favorite red lipstick shade? Share it in the comments!